Neurostimulation has long been used to treat medical conditions as varied as chronic pain and Parkinson’s Disease.
① The TrueTear® tip stimulates a nerve in the nasal cavity with tiny pulses of energy.
② This nerve sends signals to the brain.
③ The brain then sends signals to the tear glands surrounding the eyes.
④ The Tear glands respond and temporarily produce more tears
Studies have shown using TrueTear® can:
- Increase in tear production by 2.5 times
- Increase in meibomian gland secretion
- Increase in mucin release
- Improvement in symptoms
Who Can Use TrueTear®
Good candidates for TrueTear®:
- Are adults at least 22 years old
- Have dry eyes
- Are experiencing one or more severe dry eye symptoms
Who Should Not Use TrueTear®
You should not use this device if you have:
- A cardiac demand pacemaker
- An implanted or wearable defibrillator,
- Other implanted metallic or electronic device (eg, cochlear implant) in the head or neck
- Chronic or recurrent nosebleeds
- Bleeding disorders (eg, hemophilia)
- Known hypersensitivity (allergy) to the hydrogel material
How To Use TrueTear®
- Use TrueTear® at least twice a day, as needed
- The device may be used for up to 30 minutes per 24 hour period
- Mild side effects, as noted in brochure
- Hold TrueTear® with buttons facing your lips
- Aim for the bridge of the nose, where sunglasses would rest
- The “TrueTear® Tilt” brings the tip in contact with the nerve
- It’s common that you may feel like you have to sneeze when using TrueTear®
- When TrueTear® is in the “sweet spot” you should feel a gentle pulsing
- Hold this position for no more than a minute or until you can feel tears forming
- Stimulation longer than 3 minutes (or 3 sequential cycles) is not recommended
- You should wait for at least 60 minutes before proceeding to the next application
How To Get Started
TrueTear® is a medical device that can only be dispensed by a Physician.
You will be evaluated to ensure that TrueTear® is appropriate for you.
If you may benefit from TrueTear®, your doctor will arrange an appointment for a demonstration and instruction in proper use of the device.
Learn How To Use TrueTear®